THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Week 11


Math Resources: Make and Take


This week’s workshop has really made me feel closer to the teaching profession, rather than being a ‘early child’ as before. I was introduced to many Maths resources that were very useful in teaching Maths to young kids. Overall, in this workshop, my classmates and I shared ideas for Maths resources. Then, we made them using all the materials provided and took the resources with us. So, I was required to do Maths resources that were applicable and suitable for early childhood age.


Resources to teach number sense

Firsty, I was provided with some resources that can be used to teach number sense; which were hundred charts, empty number lines, and ten frames. These three types of resources will become a useful tool for me in introducing more hands-on activity while teaching Maths in Malaysia soon. For instance, by using a ten frame, I could ask my students to use any objects to be filled in the frames. Ten frames also can be used to help children learn about part-whole relationships and build children’s knowledge of the number system (Young- Loveridge, 2002). It might be handy though some modifications could be made. To make it more effective, I could enlarge it to A3 size and also laminate it. Therefore, it would be nice and big for young kids to use it.

The box of facts

Then, I was introduced with ‘the box of fact’ to teach addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. Indeed, it was my first time experience learning using that amazing toolkit! I was amazed by these sorts of things that young kids here have opportunity to have in learning Maths. It was totally different compared to my previous schooling in Malaysia. One box that I found very helpful was “The box of facts to multiplications and division”. Indeed, it would help young kids to learn multiplication and division in more enjoyable ways, not only memorizing the number facts! When my lecturer demonstrated how to use it, I was really amazed how systematic it has been organized. In order to answer the question, for instance, 6x8, students can count the black dots and it also similar to 8x6.

In this workshop, my friends and I tried to construct one card similar to the one in the box of fact. We were using a hard A4 paper and using some stars as ‘the black dots’. First, we needed to organize where we should fold the paper and pasted the stars. Then, we decided to use 4x4 as the basis of the card. That’s mean, if we wanted to do 2x4, we needed to fold it until it had two stars per row. Then, we wrote down the operations on the top of it horizontally. It was because, we were told that, in Queensland, the operations were displayed horizontally, not vertically. I thought it was an effective way as young child would read the operations align with the dots. It was shown in the sample that we used as a guideline. But, I realized that one of my friends wrote it quite differently. She started with the number of columns first, not the number of a row. I wondered how it will affect young kids in solving the operations. After discussing, we found that we still can use it as an extension activity for kids. It is because, to solve the operations, they can’t simply rely on the number of stars in a row.

Ladybird sixes

Another engaging yet educational resource was a ‘ladybird sixes’. This interesting stuff would apply part-whole relationship for ten. That’s mean it should been provided with two numbers (part) that equals to ten (whole). I had listed “1 and 9”, “2 and 8”, “3 and 7”, “4 and 6” and “5 and 5”. While doing this task, I realized that there were lots of different ways to put six spots in each ladybird.

Interestingly, according to Resnick (1983; as cited in Young- Loveridge, 2002), this interpretation of numbers in terms of part-whole relationships enables children to think about numbers as made up of other number and help them in achieve major conceptual in early years.

My friends and I did it using coloured paper, colourful self-adhesive, markers, scissors and glue. At first, we cut coloured papers into oval shapes. We decided to cut five different colours as we wanted to do five ladybirds. We also divided its wing cases into two. Then, I put the colourful spots using colourful self-adhesive on the two halves of the ladybird’s back. Then, my friend put its eyes and eyelashes to make it more ‘real’.

But, how could we use it? At that time, I tried to be a student and I wrote numbers that could makes six. By subitising, I ‘added’ the spots on the left wings with the right one. What I have done was I used addition sum by counting the spots on the ladybirds’ back. However, there was a reminder from my lecturer that we can’t use the word, “makes” to explain the operations. We were quite confused especially with the native speakers who frequently used it, instead of ‘equals’ or ‘same as’. Then, we were told that the word “makes” will become meaningless when it comes to algebraic thinking. For instance; 6+2 makes 8, but 8 can’t make 6 + 2. Therefore, I realized that as a future teacher, I need to watch my language use in explaining operations or processes in Maths.

Monster

In this workshop, my friends and I also have an opportunity to create our own monster to teach students about counting backwards. We used paddle pop sticks, pipe cleaners, strings and other materials such as coloured paper, stars, colourful self-adhesive labels to make monsters. We decided to make ten monsters so that we could use the book, Monster Math by Grace Maccarone and sing:

Ten hairy monsters

Went to the park,

One skipped away,

Now there ware nine…

The process of ‘monsters’ making was really demanding bth patience and creativity. It is not easy ‘putting’ the pipe cleaners around the paddle pop sticks. We needed to ensure that monsters were similar and have some distinguish features so that young kids can differentiate it. Indeed, wonderful ideas by using these ‘monsters’ can engage young kids in learning Maths; especially on counting.

Shape puzzles

“It is quite hard to do”

“I can’t use knife properly as I may cut my fingers”

“Why it is become complicated as we need to cut it, paste it and cut it again?”

Here were some comments and mutterings while my friends and I were given some options to do shape puzzles. Finally, only one of us decided to do it. Here were some processes that I observed:

1. Select three large pieces of thick cardboard

2. Using a craft knife, she cut a triangle out of the first piece, a square out of the second piece and a rombus out of the third piece.

3. She glued the left over shape (after cutting the shapes) on coloured papers.

4. She cut the coloured paper which had been glued.

5. She made a handle for each cut-out shape by winding some pipelines.

Indeed, all we need were patience and ‘visualization’ of the shapes that will become. Then, we had to take turns fitting the cutouts into the matching shaped holes. It was enjoyable and I thought young kids would love it, as they will satisfy when they are able to insert the shape into its holes. It is because; “teacher carries the responsibilities for adjusting the level of difficulty so that each child experiences not only a challenge but also a sense of success” (Schwartz, 1995, p.416). The process involved was not only a single orientation but also one to one correspondence as one hole only suit with one shape.

references

No comments: